My husband loves things like stuffed peppers, but I am not a bell pepper eater, so this recipe for Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers is outsourced (sorry hubby!). What I really like about how his recipe was developed is just how easy it is for a quick meal.
There are all sorts of instant pot stuffed pepper recipes out there. This one does not have meat, but does have Parmesan cheese and chicken broth. You can make this one vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth or make it vegan by also leaving out the cheese. It would be good with some of the vegan cheeses that are out there too.
Pot In Pot Method
This recipe uses a pot set on the trivet inside of your Instant Pot. I typically use can use a round pan like this one: Instant Pot official round pan.
In a pinch, you can actually make your own pan with a few layers of foil and that will work too. But a real pan makes it much easier. Plus, a good round pan is pretty much a must have Instant Pot accessory.
Make a foil sling to make getting your pan out of the pot easy. See here for how to make an Instant Pot Foil Sling.
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
For these Instant Pot stuffed bell peppers, you can use any color pepper that you desire. I suggest mixing it up between green peppers, red peppers, yellow, and orange. Lots of color is always fun!
Start by dicing up some onion and mushroom and melting some butter on saute in the Instant pot. Saute the onion and mushroom until the onions are translucent.
You can use regular white button cremini mushrooms, or something like baby bellas. Really any mushroom is good!
These instant pot stuffed peppers use uncooked rice. In particular, this recipe uses Arborio rice, which is used for Risotto.
If you want to substitute white rice, use quick cooking rice. Regular white rice might not come out fully cooked.
Add the rice to the Instant Pot and saute for several minutes, then add stock, scraping the pot. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir.
Remove your Risotto mixture with the liquid included and set aside.
Cut the tops off of the peppers, and remove the seeds. Then, pour water or broth into the inner pot and add the trivet.
Put the peppers in your smaller pan and set that in the Instant Pot on the trivet. Use your foil sling!
Spoon the risotto rice mixture into the peppers. It will have plenty of liquid in it, which is good! That will cook and be absorbed by your rice.
Add any extra rice mixture, including the liquid, to the pan the peppers are in, placing it around the peppers.
Pressure cook the stuffed peppers on manual high pressure for 5 minutes, followed by a quick release.
Fluff the rice with a fork if needed.
Additional Bell Pepper Cooking Options
You can alter this recipe pretty easily to make stuffed peppers with cooked meat by adding ground beef or turkey to the stuffing mix.
You can also make this without rice by using couscous or quinoa instead.
Serving Pressure Cooker Stuffed Peppers
I would serve instapot stuffed bell peppers with a hearty salad and/or some good crusty bread.
Have leftovers? You can gently reheat these, or you can chop them up and add them with some meat or vegetables to a broth to make Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup!
Garnish your stuffed peppers with some shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional to garnish
- 1 ½ cups water
1. Add butter and oil to inner pot and saute until the butter is melted
2. Add the onions and saute for 1-2 minutes
3. Stir in the mushrooms and saute for one minute
4. Add the rice and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the Parmesan cheese and stir.
5. Add the chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pot
6. Cut the tops off of the peppers, and remove the seeds. Arrange peppers in a pan that will fit in the inner pot
7. Pour water into the inner pot, and add the trivet to the pot
8. Spoon the rice mixture into the peppers. It will have extra liquid. Add any extra mixture to the pan the around the peppers
9. Lower the pan with the peppers into the Instant Pot using a sling.
10 Pressure cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes then quick release the pressure.
11. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese as a garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.