I love risotto and this Instant Pot mushroom risotto makes it easy.
Risotto is often a serious a pain to make on the stove because it involves a lot of constant stirring that I lack the patience for. So, needless to say, I was excited about the idea of making Instant Pot risotto!
For a recipe with similar risotto used a different way, see my recipe for Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers. You can even use your leftover risotto from this recipe in that one!
Note: this Instant Pot risotto recipe can be made vegan or vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Omit any Parmesan cheese as a garnish.
This risotto is so much easier when made in the InstaPot. It is simple and quick, and tastes like the real labor intensive deal.
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto Ingredients
This pressure cooker risotto uses Arborio rice, white wine, and mushrooms as key ingredient.
Arborio rice is the classic rice used for risotto and I highly recommend buying it for this recipe. With that said though, you can make Instant Pot risotto with regular white rice.
You can also try to make Instant Pot mushroom risotto with brown rice, but be aware that cooking times my vary when using brown rice.
For mushrooms, I like to use baby bellas or a blend of mushrooms. You can also use the white button cremini mushrooms. I find that baby portobellas give a lot more flavor though .
If you don’t wish to use wine, substitute extra chicken broth.
This recipe can also be made using the rice setting, but it works fine on manual, high pressure. It will take about 15 minutes total in order to come to pressure and cook for six minutes.
Instant Pot Risotto Additions
Serve the risotto with a dry white wine (if so inclined) and garnish with parsley and/or shaved Parmesan cheese.
The use of cheese makes it especially rich. Yum!
You can also add meat to this risotto to make, for example, Instant Pot Shrimp risotto, Instant Pot chicken risotto, Instant Pot salmon risotto, etc.
Also try adding things like spinach or asparagus for an extra serving of vegetables in your meal!
Vegetarian or Vegan Instant Pot Risotto
You can make Vegan or Vegetarian Instant Pot risotto by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omitting any cheese as a garnish.
Add additional vegetables to taste.
See my roundup of Instant Pot Vegan recipes for more Vegan and Vegetarian options!
Here is the recipe!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Select the Saute function on the Instant Pot.
- Add butter and olive oil, stiring until until the butter melts, about 2 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and saute, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes
- Stir in the onion and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the rosemary sprig and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir the rice into the pot and mix until coated with the mixture, about 2 minutes
- Add the wine and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the chicken stock, stirring to deglaze the pot, and simmer for 1 minute
- Close and lock the lid. Set to manual function (6 minutes) and high pressure.
- Vent using natural release.
- Remove lid when pressure is released and stir until until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Discard rosemary sprig and add with salt and pepper.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 723mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 15g