I love Pad Thai, and I love Chicken Fried Rice, so why not combine them!? This Instant Pot Pad Thai recipe is combined with an Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice recipe for a bit of both!
This is a wonderful Asian dish, loaded with vegetables, that comes together quickly and easily for a great hearty and healthy dinner. When you add the noodles and toss this in the semi-sweet sauce, the flavors are awesome. Top this off with some crunchy green onions, sprouts, and crushed peanuts, and you’ve got a dish worthy of your favorite Thai restaurant.
This recipe and the photos were provided to me from an associate.
Instant Pot Pad Thai
Pad Thai is known for it use of rice noodles, which are purchased dry and are then cooked and stir fried, often with eggs and tofu. It often includes peanuts for a distinctive taste. Like other dishes involving noodles or rice, it can be made pretty easily in the Instant Pot. This recipe does not include egg, but you easily could add it if you like.
Look in your grocery store’s Asian food section for rice noodles. They often will even be labeled as Pad Thai noodles.
This dish could be made as a Pad Thai alone, but to make it interesting, it adds pressure cooker Chicken Fried Rice!
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken fried rice in the Instant Pot is another relatively easy recipe and uses rice, soy and vegetables for a standard Asian dish. You could make this dish with rice only, omitting the noodles and have a decent fried rice. But let’s put them together!
By the way, here is How to Make Instant Pot Rice.
So, here is the recipe. This is Instant Pot Pad Thai with a twist by adding Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice. It is sure to be a favorite.
Instant Pot Pad Thai With Chicken Fried Rice
This Instant Pot Pad Thai and Instant Pot chicken Fried Rice uses Pad Thai noodles, rice, a variety of vegetables, and can be garnished with chopped peanuts, green onion, and sprouts if desired. The recipe makes quite a lot, so feel free to cut it in half for a small family.
Brown the chicken up really well for the best flavor.
The sauce can be made either in the Instant Pot or on the stove top while the noodles cook. You will also want to make the rice ahead of time.
The noodles take only three minutes to cook on manual high pressure.
The chicken is cooked on saute in the pot with onion and then soy sauce, spices and vegetables are added with broth, followed by the rice. Stir frying the rice for around 5 minutes will turn it the characteristic golden brown that is associated with fried rice.
Note: If you have a Duo Crisp (Read my Instant Pot Duo crisp review) you can put on the air fry lid at 400 for 5 minutes and fry the rice that way!
You can add or subtract vegetables from the recipe as desired. For example you could add some pea pods, red pepper or celery, or take out the mushrooms etc.
When all ingredients are cooked, the Pad Thai noodles are added back to the Instant Pot.
The sauce is drizzled over the top, and the dish can be garnished with sprouts and green onions or parsley.
- 2-4 cups of cooked rice (I like mine with less rice use 4 cups if you want a more rice-based dish)
- 2-3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts sliced into thin pieces (salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 white onion - sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (your favorite - we used Shiitake)
- 2 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 can of sliced and drained water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1 package Pad Thai rice noodles
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 Tablespoons of Soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Lime juice (fresh squeezed)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- FOR THE GARNISH
- 1/3 c chopped peanuts
- Green onions
- 1 cup of sprouts
- 1. Add the ingredients for the sauce to the Instant Pot and set to saute on high. Allow the ingredients to come to a heavy simmer , then remove the sauce to a bowl and rinse the pot.
- 2. Place the Pad Thai noodles in the Instant Pot, with 4 cups of water.
- 3. Pressure cook on manual high pressure for 3 minutes, then quick release.
- 4. Remove the noodles to a bowl.
- 5. Set the Instant pot to saute on high and and place the oil and onion slices in the bottom, and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- 6. Keeping the heat on high, add the sliced chicken, and cook for 5 - 6 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown, and cooked through (no pink).
- 7. Add the soy sauce, chili flakes, mushrooms, celery, carrots, peas, red bell pepper, water chestnuts, and chicken broth, and stir fry for 5 minutes on high heat.
- 8. Add the rice, and garlic, and stir fry for 3 - 5 minutes, until rice begins to turn golden.
- 9. When all ingredients are cooked, add the Pad Thai noodles back into the Instant Pot, and stir.
- 10. Add the sprouts on top and drizzle sauce over stir fried rice and noodles, and top with chopped peanuts and green onions.
- 11. Serve and Enjoy!
You can make the sauce in a pan on the stove while the noodles are cooking in you prefer.
You may need to add a little more oil to the Instant pot during cooking while stir flying . You can also add chicken broth to keep the vegetables from getting too hot too fast so they don't burn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 755mg Carbohydrates: 109g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 27g
Pin This Recipe!