This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Chili is vegan, vegetarian, gluten green, grain free, and very clean. It is super easy to make in the Instant Pot, taking about only twenty minutes total.
The jalapeno in this recipe gives it a nice kick, along with the various spices. That, along with the black beans, gives it a real chili feel and taste.
When preparing the squash, cut it into fairly big chunks. Also, do not stir it is when adding it to the pot. This will help keep it from getting too mashed in the chili. You want that chunky texture.
This is a great recipe for fall, when butternut squash is in season. You can also substitute acorn squash or pumpkin in place of the butternut squash.
Garnish as desired with things like lime wedges, avocado slices, or cilantro. You could also use sour cream, but that will make the recipe non-vegan. Or try a vegan yogurt.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ small jalapeno, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 can tomatoes, diced, with liquid
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil on saute setting
- Add the red onion, garlic, jalapeno, salt, black pepper, paprika, chili powder and cumin
- Saute until the onions are soft, around 3-4 minutes
- Stir in the black beans, can of diced tomatoes, and the broth
- Add the butternut squash and bay leaf without stiring
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to sealing
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Use Natural Release
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Garnish as desired.