What is great about the Instant Pot is that it sin’t just a pressure cooker. Every Instant Pot model also includes a rice cooking function. It also makes it easy to make differing amounts of rice. In the InstaPot, you can often make a smaller amount than you could in most dedicated rice cookers. Simply use a water to rice ration of 1 cup rice to 1 cup of water.
The secret to fluffy rice that does not stick is to rinse it well before cooking. Immerse the rice in water, stir until the water turns milky, and drain. Repeat, and then run under water a bit longer to completely rinse. This removes the excess starch that can cause rice to get sticky.
Another tip is to add about 1 teaspoon of oil to the pot for each cup of rice. This also prevents sticking and reduces foam from the cooking rice. A bit of salt adds flavor. Use the Rice setting for white rice. For brown rice, use the high pressure cooking setting and cook for 22 minutes.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp . cooking oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Rinse the rice in cold running water until the water runs clear
- Add rice, water, salt, and oil to the Instant Pot
- Lock the lid and cook on the Rice setting
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release remaining pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork