I love lava cake and making Instant Pot lava cake is pretty darn easy! The molten chocolate lava cake has a warm melted center surrounded by rich chocolate cake. To make this recipe, you will need some ramekins. Five ounces is a good size, but the recipe can adapt a bit for slightly small or larger sizes. Lava cake was supposedly invented in New York in 1987, although that claim is also disputed.
These cakes are quick and easy to make dessert that is impressive and can be made in any pressure cooker. The recipe makes two cakes, but it can easily be doubled. I love baking in the pressure cooker. You can get more dessert recipes here: Instant Pot Desserts.
Making Instant Pot Lava Cake
To make the lava cakes, the ramekins are first prepared by smearing the inside with softened butter and adding a teaspoon of sugar. Rotate the ramekins in order to coat the inside with sugar.
The chocolate cake is mix is made by melting butter and chocolate chips, then making a mix of eggs and vanilla that is added to the chocolate and powdered sugar and flour are stirred in. The mix is then poured into the ramekins.
The lava cakes are baked in the instant pot by adding 1 cup of water and setting the trivet in the pot. The ramekins are set on that and then they are pressure cooked for 9 minutes followed by a quick release.
The ramekins with the Instant Pot lava cake should be carefully removed and allowed to sit for 5 minutes. Then let them sit for 5 minutes. I know it is hard to wait, but they need to cool slightly.
Cake Serving Suggestions
The cakes can either be eaten straight from the ramekin with powdered sugar on top or depotted and topped with powdered sugar, berries, ice cream, mint, or whatever garnish you desire. They are really good with coffee flavored ice cream!
Be sure to serve the cakes warm while the center remains melted. If they sit too long the center will start getting absorbed by the cake.
- Preparing the Ramekins:
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- For the Cakes:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup water for Instant Pot inner pot
- For the Topping:
- Sifted Powdered Sugar for topping
- Berries or mint leaves for topping
- Rub the inside of each ramekin with softened butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar into each ramekin and rotate the ramekins to even coat them with sugar.
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips in microwave safe dish at 50% power for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate is melted.
- Wisk the eggs and egg yolk in medium bowl. Add the vanilla and melted butter and chocolate mix. Mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar, flour, and salt and mix until it forms a thick batter.
- Pour 3/4 cup of water into the Instant Pot and place a trivet in the pot. The water should be below the trivet.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins and set the ramekins on the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook on manual manual high pressure for 9 minutes. Quick release.
- Carefully remove the ramekins with oven mitts or tongs. They will be hot!
- Let the lava cakes ramekins sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve the cakes in the ramekins or depot them by running a knife along the inside of the ramekins, placing a plate on top, and inverting to allow the cakes to fall out.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, berries, or mint, or serve with ice cream.
This recipe makes two Instant Pot Lava Cakes. If doubled, stack the ramekins in the pot in an uneven pattern .
M. Gastro Kitchens 6 Piece Set, 5 Ounce “West Loop” Ramekins, Creme Brulee, Souffle, Custards (5 Ounce, White)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 943 Total Fat: 45g Saturated Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 344mg Sodium: 285mg Carbohydrates: 130g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 114g Protein: 11g