I love key limes, and this super easy Instant Pot key lime pie is a perfect dessert for a small group. Made in a 7 inch springform pan, the pie serves up about 4 slices. My husband absolutely loves key lime pie, so this pressure cooker version is perfect for us. I made the pie one day, and we had dessert for several days from it. If making this for a crowd, simply make additional pies.
This Instant Pot key lime pie recipe can be made in about 40 minutes total, but it is best if it sets in the refrigerator for several hours. So give it a bit of time for that! For a bit of history, Key Lime pie originated around 1935 with ice box key lime pie from the Florida keys.
Looking for more Instant Pot desserts? Take a look at our Instant Pot dessert category!
The Best Instant Pot Key Lime Pie
A key lime pie recipe is very easy to adapt to a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Begin by spraying a 7-inch springform pan with cooking spray, or rubbing a bit of oil on it. I use the springform pan that came with this Instant Pot accessories set. You can also buy a pan separately, such as this Instant Pot springform pan.
To make the graham cracker crust either grind the crackers in a food processor or put them in a baggie and roll over them with a rolling pin. You can even roll a can of something over them to crush them. No need to get high tech! I smashed mine up in a baggie out of laziness. I didn’t want to mess up the food processor just for a few cracker crumbs.
Mix the graham crackers with melted butter and press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Then pop it in the freezer so set nicely while you make the key lime filling.
The filling is made with a mixture of egg yolks, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. I used commercial Nellie & Joes Key Lime Juice because I did not have fresh key limes readily avaialbe. You can certainly use fresh squeezed key lime juice in this recipe, or you can also substitute fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice in a 50/50 mixture. If you use fresh limes, add about a Tablespoon of zest to the mix for additional flavor.
Pour your key lime pie filling into the pan and cover it with foil, making sure to leave no openings. Then, make a foil sling to help place the pan in the Instant Pot for easy retrieval after pressure cooking.
Put a trivet in the Instant Pot and add one cup of water. Then lower the key lime pie pan into the pot. Pressure cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of natural release. Then quick release.
Remove the pie and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Remove the foil cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours until the pie is set. The pie should appear set in the center, but not look baked. For example, it will look glossy and jiggly, not baked and golden brown.
I served my Instant Pot key lime pie up with simple whipped cream. You can get fancier if you like and add lime slices, lime zest, or fruit, such as raspberries or blackberries.
Store your leftover key lime pie in your refrigerator. One pie serves up four to six slices, depending on how small you slice it. I sliced it into six.
- 1 1/2 cup graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 3 large egg yolks or 4 medium yolks
- 2/3 cup key lime juice (approximately 10 key limes if using fresh key limes) or a 50/50 mix of standard lime and lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (if using fresh limes)
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream for topping
- Spray a 7 inch springform pan with nonstick spray or lightly coat with oil.
- Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor or roll in a baggie to create crumbs.
- Melt the butter and, in a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs with the butter.
- Press the cracker crumb mix into the bottom of the springform pan and up the sides.
- Freeze the pan while preparing the key lime filling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the yolks are smooth and well mixed.
- Add the condensed milk, key lime juice,and zest (if using fresh limes). Mix well.
- Pour the key lime mix into the pan on top of the crust.
- Cover the pan securely with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 cup of water and a trivet to the Instant Pot.
- Using an aluminum foil sling, lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Lock and seal the lid, and cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the instant pot and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until the pie isl set.
- Top with whipped cream, lime slices, fruit, and/or garnish with lime zest, and enjoy!
Esjay Accessories Set for Instant Pot-Fits 5,6,8Qt Instant pot Pressure Cooker,5-Pcs with Steamer Basket/Egg Steamer Rack/Egg Bites Molds/Non-stick Springform Pan/Kitchen Tongs,Best Gift Idea
Bellemain 7-Inch Nonstick Springform Pan for Instant Pot Leakproof Perfect for Cheescake Fits 6qt and 8qt Instant Pots Pressure Cooker
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 280mg Sodium: 198mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 16g Protein: 8g