This keto Instant Pot chicken recipe with spinach, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes is an adaptation of the stove top version of the recipe from Anna Vochino’s NSNG (no sugar, no grain) cookbook Eat Happy. That cookbook is a wonderful resource of NSNG recipes, most of which will also be keto and/or low carb. I was very happy with the results of my adaptation of the recipe in which I made several substitutions, in particular I used sundried tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes, and added garlic. Then I adapted it for the Instant Pot.
This recipe is keto, gluten free, and low-carb friendly.
If you are looking for more keto Instant Pot recipes, check out my round up of Keto Instant Pot Dinners. For more chicken dinners check out my roundup of Instant Pot Chicken recipes. I also have a keto category on my running and general food blog.
Keto Instant Pot Chicken
This Instant Pot keto chicken recipe creates a dish that is creamy and rich with a nice Parmesan cheese sauce. My husband loved it the first time I made it on the stove top and he loved it again when I used the Instant Pot. The nice thing about using the pressure cooker is that there is very little baby sitting of the dish and it is practically a dump and go dinner.
I love sun-dried tomatoes, so I replaced the cherry tomatoes n the original recipe with those. I put the whole jar in. Drain the oil from it first! If you use canned and quartered artichoke hearts, you likely won’t need to trim them. But if they have any rough or woody ends, go ahead and trim those off.
You can use cherry tomatoes instead of sun-dried if desired. If you do that, add them after pressure cooking.
The artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and chicken are all pressure cooked for 5 minutes with a 5 minute natural release to help lock in the juices in the chicken. Then, after a quick release, the spinach and cheese is added. If using cherry tomatoes instead of sun-dried, they would be added here too.
The spinach will quickly wilt and the sauce will thicken. Then serve the chicken breasts with big ladles of the sauce over them.
Keto Chicken Serving Suggestions
You can serve the keto chicken over zucchini noodles (aka zoodles), spaghetti squash, or simply by itself. I served mine alone and we added a salad.
I am considering trying this recipe with asparagus added too. Other things that could be added are green beans, cauliflower, or broccoli.
You can also make this cheesy! Adding pepper jack, soft ricotta, or another white cheese to the top adds another level of tasty goodness, or for something unique that would work really well for this and that you can even make in your Instant Pot is this Homemade Farmers Cheese.
Here is the recipe card. Enjoy!
- 4 butterflied/thin cut chicken breasts or one package of chicken tenders
- 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 jar of sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons prepared minced garlic or 3 cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute, add the butter, and saute the shallots for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken broth, and chicken breasts.
- Close and seal the lid and pressure cook for 5 minutes on manual high pressure.
- Natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the spinach, cream, and cheese.
- Stir until the spinach wilts and the cheese melts, creating a rich sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can pre-saute your chicken breasts if desired to brown them. To do so simply brown them in the pot with a bit of Olive oil.
- The original stove top recipe used cherry tomatoes. To use those, add them with the spinach and cheese at the end and cook about one minute longer after the spinach wilts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 109mg Sodium: 1011mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 53g