Mashed potatoes are one of those side dishes that work perfectly in the Instant Pot. When making mashed potatoes I love to add cream cheese for a rich creamy texture.
Your choice of potato can vary. Russets tend to give a nice texture. Yukon Golds are a bit thicker. Red potatoes with the skin left on creates a bumpier, but very flavorful mash. Whichever you choose, be sure to mash them promptly. You need the heat from them to melt the butter and cream cheese, and they will get sticky or lumpy if not mashed right away. You don’t have to add the Parmesan cheese to these, but it gives a nice extra kick of rich flavor.
- 2 and ½ pound potatoes, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Milk or Cream as needed.
- Place potatoes in the Instant Pot and cover with water
- Add one teaspoon of salt.
- Pressure cook on the steam setting for 12 minutes.
- Quick release steam and drain
- Add the butter, cream cheese and Parmesan
- Mash the potatoes with and a potato masher or electric mixer, drizzling in milk or cream until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.