Beef Stroganoff is a big favorite in my family. And what is not to love about it? It is an excellent comfort food with starchy egg noodles, beef, and a creamy sauce. Making it in the Instant Pot is awesome since it greatly speeds up what would otherwise be a long slow cooking time for the beef. Plus Instant Pot Stroganoff makes it into a one pot meal.
This InstaPot Beef Stroganoff recipe makes eight servings, but it can easily be cut in half for four if you have a smaller pot. If you are watching your sodium, it is OK to cut the salt from this. The Worchestershire Sauce is salty enough on its own to keep the flavor up.
Garnish with parsley if you are feeling fancy.
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Select the saute function of the Instant Pot and heat oil for 1 minute.
- Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt
- Saute, stiring often until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and add to the pot.
- Saute until browned evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, beef broth, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Close and lock the lid.
- Set to high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions, cook 10 to 15 minutes.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method. Open pressure cooker
- Stir in egg noodles.
- Seal and bring to high pressure again, cook for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally according to manufacturer's instruction for 5 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure using the quick-release method.
- Mix flour with water to form a thin paste.
- Open Instant Pot, add the flour paste and sour cream to the pot and stir until thickened.