I love how simple the Instant Pot Vortex air fryer makes things, such as these air fryer baked potatoes. I make an Instant Pot Vortex air fryer baked potato almost the same way that I do in the oven, but by using the Vortex, I don’t have to heat up the kitchen so much. I often use Alton Brown’s recipe for the regular oven.
About Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Can you make a baked potato in an air fryer? You sure can! The method is similar to oven baking, but an air fryer baked potato comes out with an even crispier skin in my opinion. You can also eat the super crisp skin! Mostly I like that I do not have to heat up the entire oven to make these. The Vortex Plus 7 in 1 air fryer works perfectly for them.
You can also make baked potatoes in any other brand of air fryer. Simply follow the directions, put them in the basket, and don’t crowd them.
How to Bake a Potato in an Air Fryer
How long do you bake baked potatoes? The annoying answer is until they are done! OK so it can be a well educated guess though. I usually bake a medium to large sized potato at 400 for about 40 minutes, with a flip of the potato half way through. That makes the skin nice and crispy all the way around each baked potato. Larger potatoes might take a bit longer.
You can tell when a baked potato is done by pricking it with a fork. It should go in easy and come out easy. If it doesn’t do that, cook a bit longer. I like my potatoes to be super soft inside.
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
The keys to a great baked potato are:
- Potato choice: Use a good russet baking potato. Other potatoes such as red potatoes or Yukon gold are better for making french fries or roasted potatoes.
- Rubbing the potatoes with oil, salt, and seasoning: I like to use avocado oil or olive oil. The oil both helps keep the inside of the potato from getting dry and also helps get the skin nice and crispy. Seasoning with salt also helps make the skin crisp up, and adding any other seasoning that you happen to like is just plain tasty and fun!
- Give them room to breathe: Don’t crowd the tray. Make sure there is air space all around each of your potatoes so that they will get evenly cooked with a nice crispy skin.
Instant Pot Vortex Baked Potatoes as a Main Course or a Side Dish
Most people will serve an air fryer baked potato as a side dish, but I like to use them as a meal as well. You can top your potatoes with all sorts of good things, and if you top them with quite a few items, you might suddenly find that they are a meal in and of themselves.
Try any of these options, or get creative and just put anything that you love on top:
- Butter and sour cream
- Loaded with bacon and cheese
- Chives or green onions
- Ranch dressing
- Caramelized onions
- Blue cheese dressing, add a dash of buffalo wing sauce for spicy
- Hot sauce
- Honey mustard
- Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Sloppy joe mix
- Taco meat and cheese
- Grilled chicken strips
As a side, try serving up a baked potato with one of these recipes:
Get More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
If you love potatoes as much as I do, you can get a whole ebook of air fryer potato recipes! This is from the people at Recipe This. They make some really good recipes. Click the image to check it out (affiliate link)!
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Oil (I use olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- Other seasonings of choice (I like garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper)
- Prick each potato with a fork in three or four places
- Rub the potatoes generously with oil.
- Sprinkle sea salt generously on each potato and add any other seasonings of choice.
- Place the potatoes on a tray without crowding.
- Preheat the Vortex on bake to 400 or preheat to air fry at 400.
- Bake or air fry at 400 for 40 minutes or until a fork easily goes into and out of the potatoes.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Cooking time can vary based on the size of the potato.
It isn't the end of the world if you do not prick the potatoes before baking. I always do so, but some recipes will have you skip that step.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g