Do you have some left over pulled pork, or roast beef, chicken, or other meat? Try these air fryer taquitos, also known as air fryer flautas! I often make my Instant Vortex taquitos with leftover Instant Pot carnitas, but as noted, other meats work just as well. You can use the meat as is or season it up with some taco seasoning.
You can also use beans and vegetables instead of meat for a vegetarian or vegan (omit cheese and dairy garnish) option.
What is the Difference Between Taquitos and Flautas?
I use the terms taquitos and flautas for the air fryer interchangeably. There are technically differences. Flautas usually are made with four tortillas and taquitos are made with corn. But you will see tons of recipes that do not follow that distinction. I used flour here, so I guess technically they are flautas, You can use corn instead if you like.
How to Make Air Fryer Taquitos (aka Flautas)
First grab your filling and a flour tortilla. If you use corn tortillas, I suggest softening them slightly by placing them under a damp paper towel and microwaving for 30 seconds. Corn tends to crack more easily when rolled. I am used pulled pork for my filling.
Starting at the end of the tortilla, put a bit of filling, onion, and cheese on it. I used pepper jack cheese, but cheddar, Monterrey jack , a Mexican blend, or any favorite cheese will do.
Next, roll it up! Secure it with two toothpicks.
Spray your taquitos with cooking spray. I like to use an Avocado oil that is free of any other ingredients as the propellants and such in many cooking oils can damage Teflon over time and my Instant Vortex has Teflon trays. I have a link for that in the recipe card.
Take care not to crowd your taquitos. If using multiple trays, you will want to switch the trays a few times when cooking. Also flip the taquitos half way through.
Air fry until the taquitos are golden brown. In my Vortex it was 8 minutes. I set it for 10 and then took them out 2 minutes early.
Let them cool for a few minutes and then serve.
Serving Air Fryer Flautas (aka Taquitos)
I love to add Instant Pot refried beans as a side to any Mexican dishes and did so here. You can also use the beans as a filling to make bean taquitos.
- 2 c Shredded meat or filling of choice (I used pulled pork carnitas)
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 1 c shredded cheese of choice (I used pepper jack)
- 1 package flour or corn tortillas
- Spray cooking oil (I used Avocado oil)
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole and cheese for garnish
- Place tortilla on a plate or tray
- Starting at one end of the tortilla, place a small amount of meat, onion and cheese on the tortilla and roll it up
- Secure with two toothpicks
- Spray all sides of the taquitos with cooking oil
- Place on air fry tray or in the air fryer basket
- Repeat until air fryer trays or basket are full. Do not crowd the taquitos
- Preheat air fryer to 400
- Air fry for 8 minutes until the taquitos are golden brown. Flip the taquitos half way through. If using multiple trays, switch the trays at 6 minutes, flip the taquitos at 4 and switch the trays again at 2
- Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, onion, and cheese
Air fryer times vary. Monitor the taquitos and fry shorter or longer if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 151mg Carbohydrates: 13g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 12g