These BBQ Instant Pot Chicken Legs are keto and low carb friendly. Pick up some chicken drumsticks and make yourself some easy BBQ Keto Instant Pot chicken drumsticks! Need more chicken recipes? Check out my list of Instant Pot Chicken Recipes.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Legs
The ingredients for these Keto Chicken legs are pretty basic, but do include liquid smoke and Monk Fruit in the Raw. You can substituent Stevia or another low carb sweetener if desired. You can use fresh or frozen chicken legs, but add 5 minutes of pressure cooker time for the drumsticks if using frozen. I prefer to use fresh or thawed.
Dice up some onion and and start putting the sauce ingredients together.
Give it all a good stir go that the BBQ sauce is mixed well. By using Monk Fruit in the Raw or another Keto, low carb friendly sweetener, the recipe stays on the healthy side.
Grab a brush for brushing the sauce onto the chicken legs. Or you can pour it over the drumsticks, but be sure to coat them well.
Put a trivet or steamer basket in the the Instant Pot and add one cup of water (or 1.5 cups for an 8 Qt pot). Brush or otherwise coat the chicken drumsticks and place them in the Instant Pot.
Pressure cook for 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural release. Do not quick release before 10 minutes are up. Using a natural release with meats is a key step to keeping them tender when pressure cooking.
Transfer the drumsticks from the Instant Pot to a sheet pan and broil them for 5 minutes to caramelize the BBQ sauce.
If you have a Instant Vortex, Instant Omni, or other air fryer, you can air fry these instead on 400 for a couple of minutes until the sauce firms up.
You can also skip broiling or air frying the legs if desired.
Serving BBQ, Keto Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
The chicken legs are great as a meal, or as a snack!
- 4 pounds chicken legs
- 1 cup tomato paste
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Monk Fruit in the Raw
- 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. For an 8 Qt pot, add 1 1/2 cups
- Place chicken in a steamer basket over the water, or on a trivet.
- Mix ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a bowl, and then pour brush on or pour over the chicken to coat the chicken legs.
- Close lid and pressure cook on manual high pressure for a cooking time of 10 minutes. Natural pressure release for an additional 10 minutes, followed by quick release.
- Transfer the chicken legs to a baking sheet and cover with additional sauce, if desired.
- Set the oven broiler to high or 450 degrees. Or set an air fryer to 400.
- Broil or air fry for 5 minutes to caramelize the sauce.
- Serve with a dipping sauce and enjoy!
Have an Instant Vortex or Instant Omni? You can air fry the wings to set the sauce!
Setting the sauce under the broiler or in the air fryer is also optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 288mg Sodium: 249mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 56g