The first thing I did when I got my new Instant Pot Duo Crisp was adapt a Ninja Foodie pizza pasta bake recipe into an Instant Pot pizza pasta recipe for the Duo Crisp. But you can also make this in a regular Instant Pot and either not crisp the cheese or broil it in the oven or your air fryer (especially if you have an Instant Omni) after pressure cooking. You can also make this recipe in your Ninja Foodie if you have that.
To learn more about the Duo Crisp, which can both pressure cook and air fry, see my Instant Pot Duo Crisp review!
Instant Pot Pizza Pasta in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp
This is a great baked pizza pasta casserole recipe that uses both the pressure cooker function of the Instant Pot Duo Crisp and the air fryer function to bake the top of the casserole.
The recipe starts by sauteing some Italian sausage, diced onion, and minced garlic.
After that, add a selection of standard Italian seasonings.
Some pepperoni is then stirred in along with some chicken broth and red wine. You can can omit the wine if you wish and replace it with broth.
I buy these little bottles of wine for cooking.
Next, add the tomato products and lightly stir. But try not to stir them clear to the bottom of the pot. This is to help avoid getting any burn notices.
I like to use Italian brand canned tomatoes. I feel like they always taste better in cooking Italian dishes.
Now it is time to add the pasta. The key with pasta in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker is to not fully stir it in. You don’t want a bunch of it sitting on the bottom the pot. Instead, lightly press the pasta down into the liquid until it is just covered.
Pressure cook pasta based on half of the amount of time listed on the box minus one minute. In my case that was 6 minutes, which is also usually a decent default setting if you do not know how long to cook it. Tip! If you remove pasta from the box to store it in other containers. Put a sticker on the container with the recommend cooking time!
After pressure cooking, do a quick release, open up the pot, and give it a good stir. Then add in about 3 0z of cheese. Top the cheese with a layer of pepperoni.
Now the magic happens, if you have an Instant Pot duo Crisp, Ninja Foodie, or the Emeril pressure cooker and air fryer. If you don’t, no worries, you can also do this step in the oven or a larger air fryer, such as the Instant Omni.
Put on the Duo Crisp air fryer lid and set it to air fry at 400 degrees for five minutes. For an air fryer, put it in a pan and air fry for five minutes. In an oven, broil it until it is browned.
Everything comes out crisp and bubbly!
Serving Instant Pot Duo Crisp Pizza Pasta
I served my Pizza Pasta with some garlic bread. A salad is also a nice addition.
Note: This recipe made a lot! it definitely could feed 6 or even 8 people. You can cut it in half for less or if using a smaller pot. It took up a lot of space in the 8 Qt Duo Crisp.
- 1/2 lb to 1 lb Italian sausage (I used .75 lb)
- 6 oz pepperoni (sliced)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t basil
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1 c red wine (or substitute chicken stock)
- 1 28 oz can diced Italian tomatoes, whit juice
- 1 28 oz can tomato puree
- 16 oz pasta (I used rigatoni)
- 8 oz shredded Italian or Mozzarella cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and saute Italian sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is browned.
- Add the spices and stir well.
- Add half of the pepperoni, the chicken stock, and red wine and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes and tomatoe puree. Stir lightly.
- Pour the pasta on top of the liquid and gently press down until the pasta is covered with liquid. Do not stir. The idea is to keep most of the pasta off of the bottom of the pot.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 1/2 the time stated on the box minus one minute, or 6 minutes if you are missing the box for the time setting.
- Quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in 1/3 of the cheese and place the rest on top of the pasta mix.
- Layer the remaining pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Place the air fryer lid on the Pot and air fry at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Remove the air fryer lid and serve!
If you are making this in a standard pressure cooker, remove the pasta to a baking dish and broil in the oven or in an air fryer to brown the toppings.
This makes a lot! For a smaller pot or less servings, cut the recipe in half.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 603 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 1218mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 29g