This Instant Pot Garlic and Lemon chicken recipe is one of the main keepers in my household. Instant Pot chicken always comes out super juicy and full of flavor. No worries about it getting dry like it might in the oven or from pan cooking. You can make this recipe with chicken breasts of skinless thighs, but using thighs with the skin intact will give you the most flavor.
The recipe starts by browning the chicken using the Instant Pot saute setting. You can use this recipe to make up to 6 or 8 prices depending on the size of your Instant Pot and the size of the chicken thighs. I made four pieces. For more than that, work in batches.
After browning the chicken, the next step is to saute the onion. The original recipe for this called for 1/2 of an onion. I like a lot of onion, so I increased that to a full one. If you prefer less, revert back to 1/2.
From there, the chicken is added back into the Instant Pot and pressure cooked at high pressure for 7 minutes. Keep in mind that it will take 5-10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure before it starts to count down the time. At the end, let it natural release for 2-3 minutes, before using the quick release. I like to use a long pair of tongs or the handle of a spoon to open the quick release. That avoids getting hit with hot steam.
While the chicken was cooking in the Instant Pot, I roasted some broccoli to go along with it. Yum! I don’t cut up another lemon for garnish form mine, but you certainly can do so for a prettier plate. Enjoy!
- 4-6 boneless chicken thighs (I prefer with skin, but skinless can be used)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsely
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- Lemon slices for garnish if desired
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Using the Sauté function, add the olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Working in batches if needed, sear chicken thighs on each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Once browned, remove from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in the Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic.
- Add lemon juice to deglaze pan.
- Cook for 1 minute and add Italian seasoning, parsely, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and set the valve to SEAL.
- Pressure cook for 7 minutes (note that it will take time for the pot to come to pressure).
- Use natural release for 2-3 minutes then quick release.
- Spoon sauce and onions over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.