I love broccoli cheese soup. It what I almost always order at Panera. This Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup is just as good and is super easy to make. It can be made vegetarian (but not vegan) and also is on the lower carb side for those who are on low carb diets. It also is no sugar no grain (NSNG)
I didn’t take any process photos of this one. I was hungry and in a hurry, lol! but I took a fair amount of after photos. The soup is really easy to make
To make the soup, simply saute some onion and garlic in butter in your Instant Pot. From there, add abut 4 cups of fresh broccoli florets and a cup of grated or matchstick carrots. You can use frozen broccoli, but fresh tastes so much better in my opinion.
Add 4 cups of chicken stock (or you can use vegetable stock to make this vegetarian) salt, pepper, and a bit of red pepper flakes. Pressure cook for 1 minute and quick release. Quick and easy!
While the Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup is cooking, mix up a slurry of cornstarch and water. After the soup is finished pressure cooking, put it on saute mode and stir in the slurry.
Follow that with the cream and cheese, stirring until it melts. Then it is ready! For cheese, I prefer sharp cheddar, but you can use a miler cheddar, or colby instead. I plan to try making this again with pepper jack to see how that tastes!
I like to serve my Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup with a salad. It also goes well with a crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion (about half an onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock for vegetarian option
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup matchstick or grated carrots
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon or a pinch of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode.
- Add the butter and onion and saute until the onion is tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add the chicken stock, broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 1 minute then quick release.
- In a small bowl or cup, mix the corn starch and cold water into a smooth slurry .
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the corn starch mixture to the pot.
- Stir constantly until the soup thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and stir in the cream or half-and-half.
- Add the cheese ½ cup at a time, stirring until it is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!